Friday, December 22, 2006

Sat, 16 Dec - Cheryl's Music Performance "Concert"

We decided to go VivoCity in the morning because we wanted to go to Toys R' Us to see if we can do something about the battery-operated Thomas train, which suddenly died on us... Even a change of battery didn't help. The Toys R' Us staff at the service counter just gave Thomas a drag backwards and Thomas was running again! Phew! He said that there was a spring inside and we needed to "wind" it up again by dragging the train backwards.... I didn't quite comprehend the mechanics, but what mattered was it was working again! Here is a pic of Cheryl having a splashing good time at the playground's waterplay area.

In the afternoon, Cheryl had her last music lesson for the year and the teacher held a mini "concert" for them. Extended family members were invited to class to see them perform solo a few music pieces on the piano. Cheryl was very shy and didn't want Daddy to come, but I managed to convince her to allow my sister and nieces to attend. Honestly I was quite worried about this performance, because she's naturally shy and had not wanted to go forward to perform in previous "rehearsals". I was not worried as to how well she would be able to play the pieces, but rather whether she would develop an inferior complex or become more withdrawn if she didn't play well or refused to perform in front of so many people. I had asked her many times which pieces she would be performing, but she never gave me an answer. I think her way of facing problems is simply to avoid them. Finally, it was her turn and she stepped up to the piano to play the pieces I chose for her. She did not play the two pieces perfectly, but what mattered was she actually performed. And she didn't do too badly, considering this was the first time she touched (as in played) on an actual piano, since she has only been playing on an organ. And in front of an audience too. I am quite sure she has my genes of having stage-fright and the experience must have been unnerving, at least it was for me! But I do hope she realises what she's capable of doing if she puts her mind to it. Hopefully, she'll overcome being too overly self-conscious of herself.

No comments: