Thursday, February 15, 2007

Festive Decorations

For the past few years my CNY decor was actually our Christmas tree re-adorned with chinesey ornaments! Yes, really! Silver balls and snowmen replaced with little fire crackers, tiny red scrolls and plastic mandarin oranges. I was simply too lazy to pack up the christmas tree, so I just redecorated it... So clever right, I thought... Yeah, but apparently it was a sight too disturbing to take in for some of our visitors.

This year I decided to abandon this because the tree was just taking too much space in our living room. I reverted back to normal festive decorations, and Cheryl has contributed some too, thanks to her art and craft sessions at school. Cheryl painted this word "chun" (spring) in school and we pasted it upside down on our front door. I think her writing is not bad for a pre-schooler. The couplets I bought at $1 each. They were the only ones I could find that were not too gaudy or chinky.

This lantern was also done at school with the help of her teachers. Using the square red packets given out by DBS Bank this year, I made another 2 more lanterns. It uses 6 square red packets and it's not difficult to make, I'm sure you can figure out from the photo.

With Cheryl's help, I hung various CNY ornaments on the shelf above our TV. These are some of the ornaments I usually decorate the Christmas tree with in previous years.













This coming year being the year of the pig, I decided to give my 2 kids and 2 nieces a piggy bank each together with their red packets. I managed to get these at $4.90 each at Guardian Pharmacy. Yellow for Cheryl, Blue for Isaac, Green for Oli, and Orange for Lauren. I think the kids will like them. I managed to find red packets that will fit into the transparent plastic container for the pigs. I also put two $1 coins into each piggy bank so that the pigs won't go hungry!

No comments: