Saturday, January 06, 2007

Back to Busy Saturday

Our busy Saturday routine begins again today. Cheryl had her Chinese class at school in the morning and her music lesson in the afternoon after a 3-week break.

As for me, after much contemplation, I decided to attend my department outing today despite of my fall. My colleagues & I have been planning and organising an outing to Snow City for weeks. About 30 people turned up for the event. I was physically fine after the fall, but I just needed to overcome being too conscious about my appearance. My face is a lot better than what it was 2 days ago, which looked like Rocky after the big fight! But it was really difficult to smile or talk to people with a straight face. What a difference a tooth makes! Now I can't even pronounce my s's and f's properly! But I'm glad I went.
I didn't participate in the more physical "winter games" in the snow chamber for fear of another accident. We learnt how to make ice cream using liquid nitrogen and had a ice-cream decorating competition. After that we had a lunch buffet at Sakura in the nearby omni-theatre. I'm glad the outing turned out OK and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Update: I managed to get some photos of the event from my colleague. Here are some pics showing how we made the ice-cream. It's almost the same way I've seen them make ice cream at The Daily Scoop (a small shop at Sunset Way that sells yummy hand-made ice-cream). Except that we use liquid nitrogen to accelerate the freezing, so it took about 15 minutes for the ice cream to be made with constant stirring. We poured the cream, sugar and flavouring in a big metal container and placed this container within an aluminium foil tray. Then liquid nitrogen was poured into the aluminium tray to cool the metal container, while the contents were stirred continuously until it thickened.

The finished product looked like this after we managed to get it out of the metal container. These are pics of how the four teams decorated their ice cream!







No comments: